Re(2): [IRCServices] ping timeouts..

Damien Gardner rendrag at eol.ieaust.org.au
Thu Sep 9 14:07:17 PDT 1999

tower at oit.pdx.edu writes:
>I understand this. My question is is the Server Name (as defined
>by the ServerName entry in services.conf) related to the
>hostname/IP of the box? Convention seems to make the Server Name
>equal to the hostname but is this required?
Hi Tyson,

No, the ServerName entry doesn't have to have anything to do with the
hostname of the box the services are running on.. - most networks use
services.network.org as the services ServerName, but there usually isn't
actually a DNS entry for that hostname (Since no-one can actually connect
to the services anyway, there would be no point in doing this...)

Regards,

Damien Gardner Jnr
Systems Administrator & Software Engineer
Internet Solutions Australia
Email:  rendrag at eol.ieaust.org.au
Work:  http://www.isa.net.au/
Home: <A  HREF="http://www.rendrag.net/">http://www.rendrag.net/</A>
Phone: 0417 055 052
-- The requirements said Windows 95 or better.. So I installed Linux.