[IRCServices] New IRC protocol revised

Scott Seufert scotts at flamebait.org
Wed Oct 6 18:33:37 PDT 1999

----------
>From: achurch at dragonfire.net (Andrew Church)
>To: ircservices at ender.shadowfire.org
>Subject: Re: [IRCServices] New IRC protocol revised
>Date: Wed, Oct 6, 1999, 3:52 AM
>

>>Andy, I don't want to be rude or anything but why would anyone want to have
>>a network where servers are connected in a circular fashion?
>
>      Two words:  No netsplits.  Well, few netsplits, certainly compared to
> the current tree-style networks.  Until the Internet becomes as stable as
> the telephone network--which to be honest I can't see happening in the near
> future; I'm honestly scared shitless at the thought of ordinary phone calls
> being routed over the Internet--links are going to drop out occasionally
> for no fault of the servers, and to avoid problems arising from that we
> need redundancy at a higher level, like the IRC network level.

<snip>

If I read this correctly this new protocol will allow more than one
connection to the same server at the same time? ... if so how will Jupes be
handled? ... and how will the network know which way to send data, so that
the server that is connected more than once don't receive it's data from
more than one source?

With DSL growing so popular the end user portion is already gorwing "more
stable". :)

Scott Seufert
aka katsklaw at irc
Network Admin