[IRCServices] A discussion on the contents of the todo file

Imran Ali Rashid u970042 at giki.edu.pk
Mon Mar 19 06:39:01 PST 2001

> As a rumor claims, DALnet once had a log channel for their proxy
> scanners.  It became a liability, as people would attempt to ride in on
> netsplits.  Those who managed to stay for awhile logged the proxies,
> then made good use of them on servers that did not run the scanner (or
> after attacking the scanner into oblivion).

There are easy work arounds for this. If Services can send to the channel,
it can control it, and hence prevent anyone being in it who isn't a services
admin. And can prevent Services admins from joining without identifying and
so on. I don't know how many ircds support +O but this could also be used
to help against this kind of abuse.

> While that's unconfirmed, it certainly rings true with human behavior.
> I'd suggest adding in a hostmask-regulated telnet module or similar (I'd
> go for DCC, but that wouldn't allow giving commands to OperServ while
> not on IRC).  Along with live log watching, you could have a parser scan
> the new log files and show you past history on a nick or channel, etc.
> If thread support is sufficient on the OSes services runs on, such a
> module would be useful as a separate thread: skips around shell process
> restrictions, and no lag on services while crunching logs.

The purpose of a telnet module to operserv was in case easy access was
not available to irc. Why put in that restriction? If you're on irc anyways,
you don't need the telnet module in the first place.

> -- Quension

Imran Ali Rashid