[IRCServices] ircservices on windows

Lucas Nussbaum lucas at lucas-nussbaum.net
Fri Jul 5 18:36:00 PDT 2002

On Thu, Jul 04, 2002 at 04:24:45PM -0400, Philippe Levesque <p_levesque at sympatico.ca> wrote:
> > He's bound by the license to release the source as well.  Besides, he
> > offered to do as much.
> >

> Yes, he can release the source as well, but, the binary are already compiled,
> thats my point, nothing can told me it's compiled with the correct source.

That's the problem with all closed-source software.

To the one who wants to release win32 binaries : please make sure you
follow what's restricted by the GPL. The source must be included, for
example.
Additionnaly, I don't think it's required, but providing detailed
instructions on how you compiled the services might help the paranoid
people here :)
sthing like :
- install cygwin
- apply this patch
etc etc etc :)

I don't use ircservices, but aren't there compile-time options (like
IRCD type) you need to take care of ? Wouldn't it be a better idea to
only provide docs on how to compile, leaving the compilation as an
exercice to the reader ? If Andrew agrees, those docs could be included
in ircservices, for example.

lucas