[IRCServices Coding] Auth Module - SETAUTH command suggestion

Mark Hetherington mark at ctcp.net
Wed Feb 13 13:17:43 PST 2002

One thing that seems to be missing from the AUTH modules, is the ability to
put a nick into auth mode. The reasons that I feel this command is required
are listed below:

1) We have a number of nicknames that were registered before the
introduction of the AUTH modules, so although we have always insisted on
email addresses, not all are verified. Some are obviously made up purely
for the purpose of registration. At present, the only guaranteed solution
is to drop the nick name and force it to be registered under the new AUTH
system. However, since this would be more than a minor inconvenience for
some users as it dropped channels, linked nicks and access rights in
channels, it is something that I would prefer a more user friendly solution
to. For anyone changing over from an older version of services or a
competitor without nickname validation, a SETAUTH feature would be useful
in validating existing registrations.

2) Services Admins are able to change the email address of a user without
triggering the AUTH module. Unless the Services Admin manually verifies the
address, or knows the address to be valid, this creates a situation where
an email address can be entered into a new database which is not validated.
A SETAUTH command would address this for an email address which cannot be
verfied manually. This could be acheived by always triggering AUTH on set
email, but since there are cases where auth may not be required, SETAUTH
provides this as an option.

3) When importing users from another services database, for example during
a network merge, again there is the potential for importing unvalidated
addresses. SETAUTH would allow a Services Admin to flag nicknames as
unauthorised so that validation could occur. Again, this could be
automatically flagged during import, but as with 2, I think a command is
better to make the AUTH optional.

One issue with the command, is it would likely require an unlimited AUTH
time (until normal nick expiration at least) since in scenario 3 above, it
is possible that not all users would log on before the main AUTH expiry
time kicked in. It seems that the SET EMAIL authorisation already works in
this manner so this may be trivial to address.

--
Mark.