[IRCServices Coding] Some IMHO usefull features

Ekim Engin ekim.engin at stud.uni-karlsruhe.de
Sat Sep 21 19:53:03 PDT 2002

> 1, Personally, I dont see the point in this. If you ban an
> email block, they
> will just find another 1. for example, you cant ban
> *.hotmail.com on a
> network, so the "stupid kiddies" will just use something like
> that. Just
> insert a largish reg delay, it would mean they would have to
> change their
> IP, or wait for something like 60mins before being able to
> register again.

Huge proxy atacks, or even more DDOS atacks registering 1 nick per hour
with 500 hosts is quite disturbing. Services is sending out many mails
(to adresses that do not exist) and we get the bounces. I implemented
this feature on an earlier version of ircservices with the result, that
the complete "registration atack" stopped. I reopend the ban 2 days
after, and the atack continued on same speed. Ist is based on a one time
initialisation, spreadign out through a common used but backdoored
script. Once started it does the registering crap all the time. Akilling
(or glineing) just results in the user getting banned. After he/she
comes back, the script continues registering. The only thing common to
this atacks is it uses alwas the same mail adresses. So I thought this
as quite usefull, it's just a suggestion after all.

> 2) Once again, i dont see a point for this feature. It would
> make channels
> prone to opwars, and takeovers. although the SUSPEND command
> does do what
> you ask, but i am unsure if it supports wildcards.

Suspend does prevent registering AND using of the channel, while my
feature suggestion just prevents registering. We came up with this
feature afer every single channel gets registerd with #ttnet_channelname
(the network is called TTNet). As it is our Network policy that channels
starting with #ttnet may just be registerd by our network stuff, it is
quite annoying to stop/drop/suspend these channels all the time, while
with this feature does allow us to prevent this from scratch.