[IRCServices Coding] Coding Modules HOWTO:

Olly olly at avansys.co.uk
Sat Nov 23 12:12:44 PST 2002

 Hi.

I'm the admin for a tiny RolePlayGaming network and we're currently looking
into making addon modules for a series of Services Bots that will share the
load for a Roleplay Service on IRC.

The problem is that none of us are really coders, and we need a lot of help
getting started. With enormous respect for Andy and his great works on
producing his wonderful services, his documentation re: modules creation
leaves much to be desired, and seems to concentrate more on where and how we
should indent, then on how to compile a new module, and integrate it into
services.

Simple questions to which we should be able find answers baffle us I'm
afraid, one such is: Do we add tokens for new commands to the exsiting token
list in init.c, or is there a way to introduce them within the modules
without editing existing code?

How do we include a module to the list of modules to be compiled, ie: is
there a command line for compilation of extra modules like with Apache, or
do we just drop them into the modules directory and recompile from scratch
as with UnrealIRCD?

Has anyone written a skeleton module with compilation instructions that we
could use as a starter?
Is there a list of APIs that we could call on or must we read the code (Very
headbreaking for us low IQ, cut & paste coders).

Please don't tell me anything useless like: "If you don't understand the
code you shouldn't be doing this!" Unless you intend to do the coding for
us, for free, because suitable, or not; We're all we've got!.

Olly admin at rpglairs.com

---