[IRCServices Coding] contributing to ircservices : legal and coding standards problems

Lucas Nussbaum lucas at lucas-nussbaum.net
Fri Dec 13 07:59:02 PST 2002

On Fri, Dec 13, 2002 at 09:50:52AM -0600, "Kelmar K. Firesun" <kfiresun at ix.netcom.com> wrote:
> >      I can do indenting fine on my own and have no need or desire to use a
> > tool to do it.  If you can't format your code like mine (and you should
> > always match the existing style when you modify a program), then I don't
> > want to see your code.
> >

> I have to agree with this.  Look at just about any of the ircd code
> out there and you'll quickly understand why its important to be
> consistant with style through out the program.
>
> I've seen some coders switch their style from line to line and it
> gets very frustrating for other people to try and read it.

This isn't the point. GNU indent automatizes the process of formatting
code. With it properly configured, I can write in my style with my
editor, then use GNU indent to format it like Andrew's code. If someone
contributes to one of my projects, I don't require him to format code
like me : if he doesn't, I just re-format the code with GNU indent.

lucas