[IRCServices] ping timeouts..

Scott Seufert scotts at flamebait.org
Wed Sep 8 01:04:41 PDT 1999

Andy Church wrote:

<snip>

> >Both ircd and services are running on the same box. I originally had them communicating through localhost but switched to the IP address saince I had these ping timeouts.
>
>      Using localhost is a better idea (though I'm not sure it makes too
> much difference performance-wise).  In any case, it's not the cause of
> the ping timeout problem.

A better Idea than using the named address(host name) is to always use
the numbered address(IP). This is for a couple reasons. One is so no DNS
lookup is needed, even if you do active lookups as we do at my ISP. it
still cuts out that step, and saves that little bit of time/resources. I
also agree with Andy, by making the ReadTimeout longer than the ping
fequency will think there is more activity than there is. The difference
between using localhost(127.0.0.1) vs real IP is the number of
interfaces involved, again using the numbered address with use the same
interface(eth0) to talk to the server instead of going from
127.0.0.1(loop back) to your ethernet card(eth0), yet another stop saved
on your packets ;)

>   --Andy Church
>     achurch at dragonfire.net
>     http://achurch.dragonfire.net/