[IRCServices] A reminder...

Andrew Church achurch at dragonfire.net
Mon Oct 11 23:42:29 PDT 1999

>Just a gentle reminder, please refrain from associating The EsperNet IRC
>Network and the EsperNet name with the Services for IRC Networks code.  We
>are not in any way, shape, or form associated with the development of this
>software other than we are the first, and like you folks on this list,
>very satisfied users of this software.
>
>The software's original author, Andrew Church, and I happen to also be
>EsperNet's co-founders, and thus we are the very first to use this
>software.

     I have to admit, this tendency to refer to the program as
"EsperNet Services" is probably my fault for not coming up with a more
distinctive name.  As has been pointed out to me in the past, it's hard
to come up with a more general name than "Services" for a piece of
server-side software, so I figure people stuck on "EsperNet" so they
could talk about it with other people and not have the other people go
"Huh?  What services?"

     However, as Ian has also stated, there was never any intention to
associate EsperNet and my Services program, and since the association
can lead people to mistakenly think they can get help with it on
EsperNet, please refrain from using the EsperNet name when referring to
Services.  Andrew Kempe has given it the somewhat more specific name
"IRC Services", so hopefully that should do for now.

     Maybe we need a naming contest of some sort?

>Andrew (Kempe or Church, either of ya can help me with this one):  What's
>the "official" website/distribution point(s) for Services nowadays?

     The FTP site is: ftp://ender.shadowfire.org/pub/ircservices/
This is listed on my own page.

     Andrew (Kempe), do you have a web site for Services up yet?  If so,
I'll set up a redirect from my page.

  --Andrew Church
    achurch at dragonfire.net
    <A  HREF="http://achurch.dragonfire.net/">http://achurch.dragonfire.net/</A>