[IRCServices] Problems with services and ircd

Kevin lebleu at prefer.net
Wed Jan 19 10:18:55 PST 2000

On Tue, 18 Jan 2000, Tim Jung wrote:

> Yet if I run nothing but IRC/Services the machine crashes in 1-3 days. It
> doesn't make any sense other than there is no hardware problem or Linux
> problem.
>
> It would seem there is a problem with either the IRC server or Services or
> both of them running together. Until I can figure out which one is causing
> the problem or both, I can't run that copy of IRC or that copy of IRC
> Services. There is a definite problem with IRC and/or services.

If any program can crash the system, there is a problem with your OS or
hardware.  No matter how buggy the program is, a decent OS shouldn't let
it crash the system.  Are you connecting IRC and services via the
localhost interface?  What if you run irc and services on your machine,
but connect the ircd to services running on a remote machine, and the
services to ircd running on a remote machine?  Perhaps it is an oddball
bug in the local loopback interface?

There must be some part of your hardware or kernel that irc + services
accesses that other programs don't.  Given the intensity of quake servers
on the network, I doubt it's a hardware problem though, because I
can't think of any piece of hardware services would use more... disk
access I suppose, but compiling services would be harder on disk than
running it... hmm... I haven't had any troubles with services on my P100
w/ 40 meg ram and 128 meg swap and kernel 2.0.36...

--Kevin

--
If you're reading this you're part of the mass hallucination that is Kevin
the Blue.