[IRCServices] Services to /msg Instead of /notice

Chris Knipe cgknipe at mweb.co.za
Thu Feb 17 09:39:02 PST 2000

Andrew...

Realising and taking in consideration what you just mentioned below....  Is
it perhaps possible to implement something in services that will actually
PROTECT the Services at staying RFC comliant, and not allowing users /
script kiddies / wannabe programmers to mess with the RFC standards ?

For example, the fact that the RFC strickly prohibits the automatic reply in
notice form to any notice received from services....

NickServ NOTICE NICKNAME: TEXT
NICKNAME NOTICE NickServ: TEXT  <-- NOT allowed

And various other matters that are discussed in details in the RFC...

Perhaps implement some "security" or protection in those regards as to
killing the user on sight with an message regarding to the fact that the
user's actions is disallowed by the RFC ?  Or even just having services to
ignore all notices it receives from lusers, and the like... (Which can also
include the matter of pinging the services bots - it can be used in a attack
against someone's IRC network when things can start slowing down and lagging
quite a bit due to the services using all resources to respond to ping
requests).

As to the first request of this luser of the threat.... It seems he only
wanted help messages to go privmsg....   Seeing that, especially with
HelpServ, the luser will basically be going into dialog with the services,
requesting detailed help, and receiving quite a bit of text back from
HelpServ.  Once again, me also want to see Services stick to RFC standards
and all - for various reasons, might it not be for better interest into
having helpserv, or the help commands (which returns or can return a big
amount of text) use privmsgs ?

Just an odd idea and suggestion...

Regards
Chris