[IRCServices] ACCESS and *OP

Kelmar K. Firesun kfiresun at ix.netcom.com
Sat May 13 12:58:24 PDT 2000

Andy Wrote:

] ... SNIP ... [

>     As for the addition of AOP/SOP/etc commands, I am not overly against
>them except inasmuch as they represent a "standard" that doesn't have to
>be a standard; I also remember quite well the numerous complaints that
>people found the level system difficult to use.  On the other hand, I have
>come to detest the attitude of Microsoft (among others) to do their best
>to keep you ignorant even if you know what you're doing, and taking out
>the ACCESS command would be too close to that for my liking.  What I would
>recommend is to add the *OP functions, either as commands or as
>alternatives for the ACCESS ADD level value, and have those functions in
>turn call ACCESS ADD with an appropriate level.  Naturally, this would not
>work if the channel levels had been changed, but by adding an EXPERT
>channel option as someone else suggested and disallowing level changes
>without EXPERT set, AOP/SOP/etc become workable again under the ACCESS
>system.

I don't see why an AOP/SOP/etc. command couldn't look at the level settings
themselves and use those numbers....  I.E. if a founder of a channel sets
the Auto Oping level to 4, why can't the AOP ADD <NICK> command just add
said
nick at level 4?

>     My personal preference is to use *OP as an option to the ACCESS ADD
>command, and display levels by name in LIST if EXPERT is not set.  The
>user/Services dialogue would look something like this:

] ... SNIP ... [

This sounds like something that would probably be best suited to an
individual setting rather than a channel setting.  Perhaps it would
also be wise to display both level "types" for those with the EXPERT
mode set:

-> *ChanServ* access #channel list
-ChanServ- Num  Level  OP-Type Nick
-ChanServ-   1     10  AOP     MyNick
-ChanServ-   2      5  SOP     SomeNick

Also, (on a side note) those with expert mode not set might be
limited from setting/using the more "dangerous" commands like:
-> *NickServ* SET KILL IMMED

Just a few ramblings,
Kelmar K. Firesun