[IRCServices] About new Version...

Jonathan Morton chromi at cyberspace.org
Mon Jul 17 05:54:41 PDT 2000

>> You could do two things with this, use it to send passwords that users
>> forget, and take Memoserv to an entirely new level by allowing a send only
>> function.  If someone is using sendmail, I'm pretty sure there would be
>> little to no code involved with shelling out to sendmail and firing off an
>> email. :)  I'm not a programmer, but I have seen several scripts that do
>it,
>> and it's usually as simple as issuing a sendmail command with the proper
>> parms.

>You're right, forwarding memos to email addresses would be very simple.

Not everyone uses Sendmail, and the command-line interfaces of other MTAs
may be significantly different.  However, sending an SMTP session down port
25 of localhost shouldn't be any more difficult to implement, and is
guaranteed compatible with any MTA.  Fetchmail uses this approach, although
it also supports piping direct into Sendmail.  The only configuration
option required by the MTA in this instance is to allow relaying to any
domain from localhost.  If the MTA is on another machine, it would be
helpful to allow configuration of Services to use that machine rather than
localhost, and this can be done easily once the SMTP session is implemented.

from:     Jonathan "Chromatix" Morton
mail:     chromi at cyberspace.org  (not for attachments)
uni-mail: j.d.morton at lancaster.ac.uk

Get VNC Server for Macintosh from http://chromatix.autistics.org/vnc/