[IRCServices] Suggestion

Jonathan Morton chromi at cyberspace.org
Tue Jul 18 20:17:53 PDT 2000

>>> Listing linked nicks isn't a good idea, 2 main reasons ... makes it feel
>>> like privacy is violated. If you have one of my nicks ... you have all of
>>> them ... second, spamming becomes a bit easier, again you have a list of
>>> nicks ...
>>
>> Uh, maybe you misinterpreted slightly.  What I meant was for something like:
>>
>> /nickserv LISTLINKS <nick>
>>
>> which in my case would list something like:
>>
>> *** chromatix is Jonathan Morton
>> *** chromatix also owns mortonjd, QuadraServ, PowerMac8100ServPro, jon, geek
>

>the above is a list of nicks that can now be used for spamming purposes, I
>don't think I missunderstood at all.

OK, so how does the spammer get hold of the first nick to get the whole
list?  Most likely the nick they already have is the only one online at
that point in time.  Even with that list, all that can happen (in the worst
case) is that one person gets multiple copies of the spam.  Not
particularly useful.  From a spammer's point of view, I don't see any
information that can be got from this command that can't be got with less
effort from other places.

from:     Jonathan "Chromatix" Morton
mail:     chromi at cyberspace.org  (not for attachments)
uni-mail: j.d.morton at lancaster.ac.uk