[IRCServices] Suggestion

Scott Seufert anarki at flamebait.org
Wed Jul 19 05:35:23 PDT 2000

on 7/19/00 2:47 AM, quension at softhome.net at quension at softhome.net wrote:

> Jonathan Morton wrote:
>
>>> I am confussed about one thing though ... I don't see why having a list of
>>> linked nicks even matters... Services binds them all anyway ... if you have
>>> access to a chan with nick1 .. you have just as much access with nick2.
>>
>> If you actually followed the thread, you'd have read this:
>>
>>> Because linked nick OPs are hard to track not beeing an sadmin...
>>> You can get op with linked nick Nick1 ... Nick1 makes some troubles.. and
>>> you
>>> cannot delete it because you dont know his linked nick on the access list.
>>
>> He then went on to mention how hard it was to manually search through the
>> user-info for an ACCESS list numbering around 100.
>
> ..so do something along the lines of a "why" command.  Services knows why a
> particular nick has access in a channel (linked to nick 'x' which is on the
> access
> list as level 'nn'), let it tell you.
>
> -- Quension

This sounds alot better than having NickServ hand out a whole list of nicks,
which I stayed up last night and thought of at least a dozen malicious
things I could do with a list of linked nicks.

I'm sorry, but my first question is always "How can this be exploited?" I
also admit that my spammer example wasn't the best example because it does
make the spammer go out of the way. There is still the privacy issue and a
few others that I can think of and wont mention.

Scott Seufert
aka Anarki
aka katsklaw
Server Admin