[IRCServices] Another Suggesstion

Scott Seufert anarki at flamebait.org
Wed Jul 19 05:45:50 PDT 2000

on 7/19/00 6:01 AM, Joao Luis Marques Pinto at Lamego at PTlink.net wrote:

> On Wed, 19 Jul 2000 09:52:42 Andrew Kempe wrote:
>> Ok, this is in reply to all the posts :)
>>
>> o Linked nicks:
>>
>> I can add a WHY command to ChanServ so that you can see why a person has
>> access to the channel (and maybe what access they have). The command would
>> go something like:
>>
>> /msg chanserv why #chan joe
>>
>> -ChanServ- Joe has access to #t via the nick NickX which is on the #t access
>> list [at level X]
>>
>> The part in [] could be set to only be shown to users with a level equal to
>> or higher than X.
>>
>> This would require a bit of list searching (not a very good thing) to find
>> the nickname the user is gaining access via. I need to look into this more.
>
> This will take the same list searching of an access lookup when NickX joins or
> uses any channel command on #t, however the LINKS OFF setting, would decrease
> the searcing expense since it would just match against the effective nick.

DALnet, has used the why command for years, it seems to be quite effective,
their system is a bit different when it comes to nicks. Since they allow
users to identify for other nicks, they have no use for the UN/LINK command.
Even so, the same condition can still arise.

Scott Seufert
aka Anarki
aka katsklaw
Server Admin