[IRCServices] Suspended Channels

Ciarán Reilly Ciaran.reilly at ntlworld.com
Sun Sep 17 15:17:44 PDT 2000

Soz for my rich text post, I'd forget the Newsreader was set to reply to
posts using the format in which they were sent :)

As for suspension again...... the one drawback with forbid is that the
channel is permanently unusable. At the minute, when a user violates net
policy and you want to suspend their room, forbid is the only option, and is
kind of a rough way of doing it since the only way of reversing it is to
drop the chan, not always appropriate. Theres a definate need for a suspend
option, and for it to have different levels and be seperate from Forbid.

My proposals for the suspend 'levels' would be something similar...

Lev 1. Users may join the Channel, users on the Access list may op up etc,
BUT the channel database will be in a sort of 'read-only' state, meaning no
changes can be made to access / akick lists etc, the topic and modes will be
locked, ChanServ will ignore all commands except op deop and identify. This
would be useful for a channel you want preserved in it's current state
without interfearence from anyone, for whatever reason. Would it be possible
to allow Channel founders access to this suspend level ? therefore allowing
them to 'freeze' their room and not allow people on the access lists to make
any changes ? or is this too much of a stupid idea / security nightmare ?

Lev 2. Users may join the Channel, but no one may get ops etc, not even
those on the access list or the channel founder, ChanServ will ignore all
commands and again the topic and modes will be locked.

Lev 3. Channel totally locked out, no users at all may join the channel,
just like forbid, only this is easily reversible without the need to drop
the channel....

Thats just my suggestions.....

BTW, will SA's and S Root still be able to make changes to channel databases
while the suspend mode is in place, thus over riding it, or will they be
required to first remove the suspend THEN make the required changes ?

Hope some of this is helpful.

Cheers,

Ciarán.