[IRCServices] known services "abuse"?

Jonathan Morton chromi at cyberspace.org
Sat Oct 7 13:54:42 PDT 2000

>On Sat, Oct 07, 2000 at 05:34:09PM +0200, Samuel Graenacher wrote:
>> Hey,
>> lately I've noticed this error message coming up quite often:
>>
>> Global -- from services.mircx.com:
>> Warning: unable to set modes on channel #rena. Are your servers' U:lines
>>configured correctly?
>>
>> The channel is known to have script-kiddies in it and when I started
>> investigating about that a bit I heard they found a way to "abuse" the
>> servs, most likely Chanserv.
>
>Have you considerred putting services in debug mode and watch the actual
>commands that are sent to Services or the actaul conditiosn it happens in?
>	/msg operserv set debug on
>and Services will dump everything they see to their logfile.  It may take a
>lot of space, but it could be very interrseting to read.

Keep a terminal open to the Services machine, and run "tail -f
services.log" - then when you see the messages of interest, you can
instantly cross-reference it to the right place in the log.

from:     Jonathan "Chromatix" Morton
mail:     chromi at cyberspace.org  (not for attachments)
uni-mail: j.d.morton at lancaster.ac.uk

Get VNC Server for Macintosh from http://chromatix.autistics.org/vnc/