[IRCServices] Desperate Problems

Andrew Church achurch at dragonfire.net
Sat Oct 14 13:25:56 PDT 2000

>Do a check to see if the user that you trying to use change the user to is
>not in use.  If it's in use it should not force thru a SVSNICK from
>services.

     Just as a note, while this will work for the GuestXYZ case (assuming
your IRC servers don't allow users to use those nicks normally), this
won't solve the general case because of lag.  For example, if someone
changes their nick to, say, NewNick before Services checked that nick,
but the nick change message didn't reach Services until after the check,
you'd get a collision in the middle.

  --Andrew Church
    achurch at dragonfire.net
    http://achurch.dragonfire.net/