[IRCServices] Duplicate messages and offtopicness

Andrew Church achurch at dragonfire.net
Tue Oct 17 07:43:02 PDT 2000

     Two things.  First, can we please modify subject lines when the
thread content changes?  That'll make it easier for people who aren't
interested in reading the messages to skip past them.  Second:

>If I may interupt you, this is still a list regarding IRC Services, not a
>classroom environment focused on proper RFC procedures. I would greatly
>apreciate you sticking to that topic, as I along with several other members
>of this list have many other emails to filter through, and have little time
>to read off topic posts. You are more than welcome to argue this point in
>private with whom ever else is interested since you obviously know where to
>find the "from field" on an email.

     Actually, this _is_ relevant IMO; while I agree it's getting out of
hand, the original complaint is a valid one and should be addressed one
way or another.  And please don't flame back; it only makes things worse.

     It's really a simple matter--when you reply to the list, check your
To and CC lines and make sure there's only one copy of the list address in
there.  (Actually, checking your To and CC lines is a good idea in any
case; I do it as a matter of habit.)  Yes, there are ways to solve this on
the server's side too, but just because someone else _could_ do something
to solve the problem doesn't mean you shouldn't do what you can.

  --Andrew Church
    achurch at dragonfire.net
    http://achurch.dragonfire.net/