[IRCServices] Panic / Segmentation fault?

Andrew Church achurch at achurch.org
Wed Jan 17 23:20:51 PST 2001

>You mean you dont do daily backups of your services database?
>
>Possible suggestion for 4.5 tho, have a database integrity checker, that
>goes through the database, and makes sure that everything is hunky dory,
>that way, you know when your database is starting to fail (would be nice
>if it had a repair option too, when you have over 5 thousand registered
>nicks, (9 thousand and something if you count forbidden nicks) and a 2-3
>year old services database, you DONT really wanna have to start from
>scrach, and losing a days worth of data (by recovering from previous days
>backup) is not really even an option.

     Actually, I'm considering a fairly major change in the database
format for 5.0 (my plan is to start 5.0 development shortly after
releasing 4.5) to prevent this kind of problem, where a single corrupt
entry renders the entire database unusable.  However, the DBs shouldn't
become corrupt in the first place, so the only real solution I can
suggest is to take backups.  On EsperNet we take two backups a day so
we're never more than 12 hours behind, which should be more than enough.
(Why would recovering from a previous day's backup not be an option?
It's surely better than losing everything.)

  --Andrew Church
    achurch at achurch.org | New address - please note.
    http://achurch.org/ | $B%a!<%k%"%I%l%9$,JQ$o$j$^$7$?!#(B