[IRCServices] Channel suspension

Andrew Church achurch at achurch.org
Thu Jan 18 09:40:06 PST 2001

     Okay, here's what I'm planning to do for channel suspension:

>      - Should a suspended channel be treated like a forbidden one (no
> one can enter it) or an unregistered one (it can be used, but Services
> won't do anything do it)?  [forbidden]

     As some people suggested, I'll be treating it like a modeless
channel but with a modelock of +nst, so nobody gets ops, people can't
fool with the topic, etc.  I may make the modelock configurable; I
haven't decided on that yet.

>      - Should Services allow changes to the channel settings?  I think
> this one is a pretty clear "no", but I'll put it up for debate.  [no]

     This stays a no.

>      - Should Services allow the founder to drop the channel?  The
> current behavior of suspended nicknames is that the owner cannot drop
> them, but this is only because the owner cannot identify for them and
> not because Services specifically prevents dropping; I could see
> suspended channels going either way.  [undecided]

     As was pointed out by many, allowing this would essentially let the
founder cancel the suspension, so this is a no.

>>      - Should Services allow memos to be sent to the channel?  [no]

     This will stay a no as well, and I'm also going to disable memos to
suspended nicks as I originally planned.  I'm not convinced there's a
real need to allow suspended nicks/channels to receive memos, so I'm not
planning to put such an option in.  (I'm trying to avoid adding too many
options; it makes the config file that much more confusing.)

     Comments are welcome.

  --Andrew Church
    achurch at achurch.org | New address - please note.
    http://achurch.org/ | $B%a!<%k%"%I%l%9$,JQ$o$j$^$7$?!#(B