[IRCServices] Panic / Segmentation fault?

Dr. K. Hawkes k.hawkes at zombies.force9.net
Thu Jan 18 13:31:52 PST 2001

[SNIP]

> Here's an idea... Make a way to export the *.db to a ascii text file, and
> way to import it in the event of database corruption.  Rebuilding the
text
> file would be much easier on the admin.  Think of the way, for example, a
> program like AutoCad handles the source, and compiled versions of its
menu
> files.  This, coupled with the habit of regular backups, could really
help
> out a lot.  I could go on and on with why this a good idea, but for now
I'll
> just let ya dwell on it :)
>
> My 1.5 cents... lol
>
> David

I must say this is a bad idea for DB's with unencrypted passwords, but
apart from that I like that idea, would save me alot of pain and worry, my
backups are a cron'd FTP to a remote location.  Although for some odd
reason, the DB's don't like going to the remote location and seem
corrupted, this is being worked on ATM.

But exporting the DB's to text would be nice, and the ability to re-import
them again would be good.

That DB verification thing too, so the DB loads even if it has a corrupt
entry would be a godsend, combine that with the export/import (so you could
clean up the said entry manually perhaps?) would kick-ass IMHO.

Maybe a Conf option to allow EXPORT/IMPORT of DB's and to allow Automatic
repair (if possible) of corrupt DB's to a minimum level anyhow???

Just my 0.2p.

Quinn