[IRCServices] Bouncy modes??

Andrew Church achurch at achurch.org
Thu Feb 1 07:56:11 PST 2001

>Does anyone know what this means?
>I've only seen it once in the log file, so it might not be reproducible.
>As far as the channel goes, nothing significant was happening.
>Only the normal, joins, quits and chatting.
>
>ChanServ: Bouncy modes on channel #giki

     This indicates that Services wasn't able to set modes on the listed
channel, and is how Services prevents itself from "fighting" with the
IRC server when the server won't let it set channel modes.  When
Services detects this, it prints a warning like the above in the log,
sends out a WALLOPS/GLOBOPS (depending on the IRC server type), and
refuses to set any more modes on that channel.

     Unfortunately, the detection sometimes goes off when in reality
nothing bad is happening.  I'm working on a better way of detecting the
problem, but for now, clearing out the channel (getting everyone to
leave so the channel disappears) will make Services forget about the
problem and set modes on that channel again.

  --Andrew Church
    achurch at achurch.org | New address - please note.
    http://achurch.org/ | $B%a!<%k%"%I%l%9$,JQ$o$j$^$7$?!#(B