[IRCServices] Ok, I think that I have checked all other areas first. Why the !@#$ does chanserv keep re-opping and re-voicing

Andrew Church achurch at achurch.org
Sun Feb 4 17:34:07 PST 2001

>Ok, I think that I have checked all other areas first.  Why the !@#$ does
>chanserv keep re-opping and re-voicing users that are at that access level?
>Some channels, like mine like to deop and devoice them to show they are
>IDLE!!!

     That's what auto-op is for.  If you don't like that, don't use
auto-op.  However, as of 4.5pre2 ChanServ will no longer prevent a user
from deopping or devoicing themselves (ChanServ will still restore ops when
one user deops a different one).

>Also, if I want to op a user and I do not want them opping others on a
>channel, that's what secureops is for, not some pain in the!#$ reaction.

     Secure-ops is to disallow users not in the access list from getting
ops, not to limit who can set ops on whom.  The HELP text describes this
clearly.

>Finally, how official is this mail forum anyway.  I'd like to know if I can
>stop censoring my words or not.

     This is the official Services mailing list.  I don't think anyone will
get upset at your using bad language, but it doesn't make you look overly
intelligent.

>Please keep in mind that this is my first
>message to it, which also shows how much of a real pain this problem is.  At
>the very least there should be a way for a founder to turn it off, I can't
>find one.  If anyone cares, I'm an espernet user.

     While it's off-topic for this list, EsperNet's Services has been
upgraded to pre2 (although the /version reply is wrong).

  --Andrew Church
    achurch at achurch.org | New address - please note.
    http://achurch.org/ | $B%a!<%k%"%I%l%9$,JQ$o$j$^$7$?!#(B