[IRCServices] Ok, I think that I have checked all other areas first. Why the !@#$ does chanserv keep re-opping and re-voicing

Countersync of AGNPH (and #agnph) countersync at hotmail.com
Sun Feb 4 21:39:55 PST 2001

From: "Andrew Church" <achurch at achurch.org>
To: "Countersync of AGNPH (and #agnph)" <ircservices at ircservices.za.net>
Sent: Sunday, February 04, 2001 00:34
Subject: Re: [IRCServices] Ok, I think that I have checked all other areas
first. Why the !@#$ does chanserv keep re-opping and re-voicing

> >Ok, I think that I have checked all other areas first.  Why the !@#$ does
> >chanserv keep re-opping and re-voicing users that are at that access
level?
> >Some channels, like mine like to deop and devoice them to show they are
> >IDLE!!!
>
>      That's what auto-op is for.  If you don't like that, don't use
> auto-op.  However, as of 4.5pre2 ChanServ will no longer prevent a user
> from deopping or devoicing themselves (ChanServ will still restore ops
when
> one user deops a different one).

To clarify, I do not mean when a user joins a channel after they identify
with nickserv.  I mean after a user has been in channel, if they go
auto-idle away or have been there without action long enough to declare
idle.  At that point anyone with operator status in the channel (possibly a
bot, but usually a human) is supposed to remove their ops and voice.  At
least as of the last tests I made in a channel I test on, chanserv would
re-voice and re-op them if they had the sufficent level to gain either of
those upon entry.  This is of course a feature that need at least an on/off
switch if not removal.  It is not desired in all the cases I can think of
off hand.

> >Also, if I want to op a user and I do not want them opping others on a
> >channel, that's what secureops is for, not some pain in the!#$ reaction.
>
>      Secure-ops is to disallow users not in the access list from getting
> ops, not to limit who can set ops on whom.  The HELP text describes this
> clearly.

Again, to clarify.  If secure-ops is set, chanserv will not allow anyone
with a level lower then (and equal to?  I forget this point, and can't seem
to get an answer with "/msg chanserv help levels set autodeop") auto-deop to
keep ops.
Thus there should not be a need for chanserv to re-op someone that is
deopped because anyone with enough access to keep ops is trusted to this
degree by the founder.

> >Finally, how official is this mail forum anyway.  I'd like to know if I
can
> >stop censoring my words or not.
>
>      This is the official Services mailing list.  I don't think anyone
will
> get upset at your using bad language, but it doesn't make you look overly
> intelligent.
>
> >Please keep in mind that this is my first
> >message to it, which also shows how much of a real pain this problem is.
At
> >the very least there should be a way for a founder to turn it off, I
can't
> >find one.  If anyone cares, I'm an espernet user.
>
>      While it's off-topic for this list, EsperNet's Services has been
> upgraded to pre2 (although the /version reply is wrong).

When I "/version chanserv" I get "2001" my best guess based on your comment
is that I should get 2002?