[IRCServices] Seg fault! on ircservices-4.5pre6

Andrew Church achurch at achurch.org
Fri Feb 16 06:53:20 PST 2001

>This plagues every version of ircservices that ive used. This ver is =
>ircservices-4.5pre6
>Ive tried on multiple boxes, but they are all RH 7.0

     That's your problem; RedHat 7.0 uses a buggy libc.  Downgrade to
6.2 or use a different distribution.  (Alternatively, edit sysconf.h
after running configure and set HAVE_STRTOK to 0; the configure
script should detect this, but doesn't for some reason.  I suspect my
test method is bad.)

>i was taught to shy away from strtok

     Then you were taught wrong.  There's nothing wrong with using
strtok() as long as you know what it does--in particular, that it
modifies its string parameter.  It's just like strcpy() and friends;
perfectly safe as long as you use it properly.

  --Andrew Church
    achurch at achurch.org | New address - please note.
    http://achurch.org/ | $B%a!<%k%"%I%l%9$,JQ$o$j$^$7$?!#(B