[IRCServices] Seg fault! on ircservices-4.5pre6

Ian R. Justman ianj at esper.net
Thu Feb 15 14:09:29 PST 2001

On Fri, 16 Feb 2001, Andrew Church wrote:

> >This plagues every version of ircservices that ive used. This ver is =
> >ircservices-4.5pre6
> >Ive tried on multiple boxes, but they are all RH 7.0
>
>      That's your problem; RedHat 7.0 uses a buggy libc.  Downgrade to
> 6.2 or use a different distribution.  (Alternatively, edit sysconf.h
> after running configure and set HAVE_STRTOK to 0; the configure
> script should detect this, but doesn't for some reason.  I suspect my
> test method is bad.)

Andy, you're forgetting something:

Red Hat 7.0 is using a "non-production" version of GCC, a move sternly
questioned by Linus AND the GCC Steering Committee themselves, according
to one article I've read.

This in mind, I hereby coin the term, "bloody edge", which is what happens
when you push the envelope just a tad TOO hard beyond "bleeding edge".

I could go on with my tirade about Red Hat, but short, sweet and to the
point, if you place any value your system's security and stability, you do
-NOT- want to use Red Hat.  :P

--Ian R. Justman, Co-Founder and Postmaster, The EsperNet IRC Network.

-----
Ian R. Justman (NIC handle IJ12)  ianj at esper.net (Official EsperNet business)
Co-Founder and Postmaster, The EsperNet IRC Network
Server Administrator, chocobo.esper.net "IJ" on IRC

PGP key available upon request, or finger ianj at esper.net.

If this message was signed with the Postmaster's key, please finger
postmaster at esper.net for the Postmaster public key.

Type Bits/KeyID    Date       User ID
pub  1024/BAB34B69 1997/11/15 EsperNet Postmaster <postmaster at esper.net>
            Key fingerprint = 05 BD 7C B5 8E 0B FD EF  EE 47 49 C4 96 11 59 75