[IRCServices] Next Services version?

Andrew Church achurch at achurch.org
Wed Feb 28 11:30:02 PST 2001

>How feasable would it be to add SOCKS/WinGate checking as an option to
>Services?  I am aware many ircds support this, but I am of the feeling that
>waiting for ident checks takes long enough, and making clients wait for a
>SOCKS check takes even longer, especially on hosts (@Home) which firewall
>the SOCKS port and fail to return a RST packet.  This would allow the majority
>of good users to connect while a SOCKS check would be done in the background.

     This is another thing that (1) can't be done within the 4.x framework
and (2) I'm not sure I want to do anyway, especially since the majority of
ircds _do_ support it.  If the ircd is making people wait, fix the ircd,
don't try to patch Services instead.  Also remember (and this applies to the
DNS comment as well) that while each ircd need only worry about checking its
own users, Services would have to check every new user that connected--all
in a single process--and could even end up having to check users multiple
times (on recovery from netsplits) depending on the ircd in use.

     There actually seems to be a program floating around designed just for
this task, which I think is a much better solution if you can't bear having
the ircd do it.  I don't recall where it's located, but look for a program
called "SocksCleaner" or something of the sort.

  --Andrew Church
    achurch at achurch.org | New address - please note.
    http://achurch.org/ | $B%a!<%k%"%I%l%9$,JQ$o$j$^$7$?!#(B