[IRCServices] Ideas , features

Andrew Church achurch at achurch.org
Thu Mar 15 02:08:07 PST 2001

dreamer at darkness.gr wrote:
>Greetings all,
>	I had an idea long time ago, i think that the list is appropriate
>to express it and talk about.
><idea>
>Imagine that we have a network with
>20 servers and the services. Imagine that it's late night and no oper is
>available, servers are spliting, and many times due to misconfigured
>ircd.conf files, autoconnects are not present.

     So fix the ircd.conf files.  I think that pretty much sums up this
matter.  I've said it before, and I'll say it again:  Services is not a
do-everything program; it provides useful services that cannot easily be
provided any other way within the current IRC protocol framework.  Things
that can be done outside of Services should be done outside of Services,
and I will not add such features.  This is even documented in the FAQ.

Yusuf Iskenderoglu wrote:
>I do not see, why this idea has to be denied right from the beginning.

     See above.

>I personally see this useful, because:

(three irrelevant comments deleted)

>- This can also be used in a timer event, as described, to maintain the
>linkage. The reality, that the linking had to occur automatically, is of
>course wanted, but never realised effectively.

     Then you need to configure your servers better.

  --Andrew Church
    achurch at achurch.org | New address - please note.
    http://achurch.org/ | メールアドレスが変わりました。