[IRCServices] Suggestion

Mark Hetherington markh at eurodltd.co.uk
Fri Mar 23 12:28:01 PST 2001

> > Only possible if they know the nickname(s) and by limiting
> the list commands
> > users cannot get to and try them all. Generally nickname
> attacks are against
> > specific individuals for a reason not just to do it.
>
> So you think that if there were a simple, unstoppable way for
> someone to anonymously disable 50 or so nicknames, that no one would
> do it ever just for fun?

Anonymous? No-one is really anonymous on IRC to Admin who I would expect to
intervene long before anyone disabled any number of nicknames for fun or
otherwise. After a suspension globops and the user not seeking assistance it
would be apparent that someone was likely to be trying to cause problems
especially if it occurred for multiple nicknames. Opers could then deal with
the problem user at that time while the user(s) nicknames, channels, memos
etc all remained secure.

> And what if they did have a grudge against
> an individual, that doesn't make it any more OK for them to be able
> to do it!

Better that than them brute force cracking the password and then causing
other problems since it is a simple matter for an Oper to restore the
nickname and suggest that the user take advantage of some of the more secure
features in nickserv to prevent it happening in the future.

Mark.
CTCP Networks.