[IRCServices] Compatible?

Andrew Church achurch at achurch.org
Fri Jun 8 02:23:01 PDT 2001

>Unreal was supported before, but some minor changes in later releases of
>unreal caused some problems and specified support for the changes were
>added. From what I understand, ircd 2.10 is completely different from
>anything else so it would be much more difficult and require much more time
>to add support for it. Andrew would be the one that could best answer this,
>but this is what I understand of it. Maybe there will be support in 5.0?

     As you say, ircd 2.10 would take quite a bit of work to support.  I
have no plans to add support for 5.0; my main focus for 5.0 is redesigning
Services itself, and that alone is a huge chunk of work.  As it is, I don't
know if I'm going to be able to get a beta out by the end of summer as I'm
hoping to; I certainly don't have any time to go about researching and
adding new protocols.  On the other hand, protocol drivers in 5.0 will be
modules, which makes it easier for someone else (besides me) to write a
protocol driver for ircd 2.10 if there's the need.

     For the curious, Unreal is essentially Dreamforge/Bahamut with a bunch
more modes and a few other features added.  It used to work using the
Dreamforge (or was it Bahamut?) protocol, but the most recent versions had
enough changes that that was no longer enough, so I tweaked the code to
support Unreal properly.  It wasn't nearly as much work as adding support
from scratch would have been.

     Also, I've added a note to the README explicitly listing ircd 2.10 as
not supported.