[IRCServices] Printing to a Text File

Guy Antony Halse guy at rucus.ru.ac.za
Mon Jun 11 09:38:00 PDT 2001

On Sun 2001-06-10 (18:54), Mage wrote:
> Where did you get this bot from? Or can it easily be modded to just monitor
> one channel at a time?

The problem with using bots to monitor channels is that unless they run on a
U lined server, they need to actually reside in the channel in order to
gather anything more than the most basic statistics. This is easily
achievable, but a bit ugly because you end up having a bot in a channel that
never does anything publically.

As far as I can see, the simplest way to get a per channel user count is to
send a NAMES for the each channel that you are interested in and parse the
server's 353 response - but this breaks if the channel modes include +s

The other alternative is to get the bot to relay a query to one of the
services nicks - I use this to query nickserv/chanserv from the web, but in
this case statserv is more appropriate, although I don't offhand remember if
it produces that sort of statistics.

- Guy
--
Dept of Computer Science, Rhodes University, Grahamstown, South Africa
Email: guy at mombe.org  Web: http://mombe.org/  IRC: rm-rf at irc.zanet.net
*** ANSI Standard Disclaimer ***                               J.A.P.H