[IRCServices] About new releases

Andrew Church achurch at achurch.org
Tue Oct 2 13:18:00 PDT 2001

To answer the questions raised about the release of version 4.5.28:

- There are a large number of people in the world who speak Dutch.  Even if
  not a majority, I think it appropriate to provide them with a translation
  as soon as possible.

- The release number (third part of the version number) is just that, a
  release number; all it indicates is the number of times I've released
  Services with the same major and minor version number.  It doesn't
  necessarily indicate a significant change in the program--sometimes I
  make a new release just to fix typos--and, unless there's a critical bug
  that the new release fixes (in which case I'll make a special note in the
  release announcement), it doesn't mean you need to upgrade.  At the
  moment, you can consider yourself up-to-date in terms of critical bug
  fixes if you're using version 4.5.26 or later.

- I don't have any particular thresholds for releasing--no "fix X bugs
  between releases" or "don't release more than once every Y days".  I
  release when I feel that people would find a new release useful.
  Sometimes that results in things like this release, which does nothing
  but add a language file.  As mentioned above, if you don't feel like
  upgrading, then don't; it's that simple.

- Version 5.0 is progressing, slowly but surely.  I won't make any promises
  in terms of dates because it all depends on how much time I find to work
  on it, but if things go well I hope to have a beta version ready by the
  end of the year.  For the curious, a unified context diff of 4.5.28 and
  the current 5.0 code base comes to 65,976 lines (2.1MB).

  --Andrew Church
    achurch at achurch.org
    http://achurch.org/