[IRCServices] Services 4.5.29 released

Finny Merrill griever at ircd-net.org
Sun Oct 28 23:10:01 PST 2001

On Mon, 29 Oct 2001, Andrew Church wrote:

> >if the tkl is set to expire in say 10 days, and a server squits, and than someone removes the tkl, and the server comes back, it'll set the gline back and those people will be banned. also, why even set a gline in the first place, if we wanted to set a gl
> >ine we would use /gline if we want an akill we'll use /os akill...
>
>      While I agree that the problem of split servers re-spreading deleted
> autokills (TKLs) needs to be addressed, I see no reason to differentiate
> autokills and G:lines--to be honest I don't see why both of them are there,
> unless it's to provide backward or cross-server compatibility.  I might
> also point out that the same problem would occur if you added the TKLs by
> hand.

I honestly don't know. I think sts added TKL as a "better" way of banning
while AKILL is there purely for backwards compatibility. I am also
confused as to why unreal lets opers use AKILL (it's the same in
nightmareforge). TKL is definitely the superior system, although
I myself prefer bahamut's system (*gets tomato thrown at him by sts*)

I also note that this problem is not specific to unreal. Bahamuts
S-fill-in-the-blank-LINES are plagued with reentry into the network
as well (I think) but they do not have automatic killoff when they are
added. AKILL does, but it doesnt reenter. read my RE: to ron's comment

PS: Sorry I keep missing you on irc X_X