[IRCServices] Query on ChanServ/Nickserv behavior

Feren feren at foxbox.kittyfox.net
Fri Nov 2 01:42:00 PST 2001

Hello everyone,

I am still fairly new to the world of ircd and services, so I've delayed
posting my question to this list for some time.  However, I seem to be at
an impasse concerning this, as I cannot find anything explaining the
situation in the documents nor the listserv archives.

For the record, my environment is:
Servers: Dalnet ircd 4.4.12
Services: 4.5.28 (compiled for ircd.dal 4.4.13-)

Most everything is behaving the way I expect (this is a great package,
many thanks for writing it and maintaining it!) except when it comes to
NickServ and how ChanServ is interacting with it.  My problem is this: I
have set up AOPs on several channels.  An example would be Scaryz, one of
my trusted users.  If I do "aop #channel list" I see "1 Scaryz
(Scaryzzzzz at dsl081-143-050.chi1.dsl.speakeasy.net)" as I expect.  He is
registered with nickserv and at this time shows "Options: Security" so he
is being challenged to IDENTIFY to NickServ every time he logs in.  This
is, understandably, annoying to most users so he asked to have it turned
off.  I stepped him through how to turn it off and verified it with "info
Scaryz" that he had successfully done a "SET SECURE OFF" to NickServ.
However, after turning it off, the next time he connected and joind the
channel he is AOP'd on, ChanServ did not op him.  I told him to try
leaving the channel, identifying to nickserv, and rejoining.  He did so,
and then was opped by ChanServ.  I have been able to get the exact same
behavior for myself.  If I tell NickServ "SET SECURE OFF" and then connect
to one of my servers on the network, I am not pestered with a request to
IDENTIFY.  The drawback to this is that when I join channels that I am AOP
or SOP on I am not given ops by ChanServ.

I find this behavior rather odd.  Am I misunderstanding the purpose of
being able to turn Secure off for NickServ?  The Help states "with SECURE
set, you must enter your password before you will be recognized as the
owner of the nick, regardless of whether your address is on the access
list."  This implies to me that if SECURE is NOT set, then NickServ will
examine the access list and, if it should find a match, let ChanServ know
that you're okay to op as you've been "implicitly identified."

Am I mistaken in this?  Perhaps I have misconfigured something?

I appreciate your time and suggestions.

Yours,

Jason 'Feren' Olsen