[IRCServices] How to downgrade to 4.4?

Andrew Church achurch at achurch.org
Sat Feb 23 14:08:00 PST 2002

>Hello there,
>I'm having a look at other services for irc (not that I'm not happy with
>ircservices, but world is beautiful because it's various, isn't it? :),
>
>and I came across with epona, which I would like to try in an
>already-set environment, such as the one I have now with ircservices.
>The problem is that I need the ircservices-4.4 compatbile databases ..
>is there a way to convert 4.5.38 databases to 4.4? If I try to run
>services 4.4 with my current databases, it complains about a different
>version of the files, and it won't try to load anyway, not even if i
>provide the -forceload option.
>
>Could anyone give me any hints, please?

     Sorry, it's not possible to downgrade to version 4.4; you should ask
the author of Epona for conversion support for version 4.5 databases.
(Version 5.0 will include an XML export function, which should make things
like this easier if other program authors adopt it as well.)

>PS: looks like epona is a copy of ircservices with some stuff added!

     Yup, I'm aware of it.  The author has some not-very-complimentary
comments in his change log, so I'm not very fond of it, but it has provided
some useful insights, as have many of the other Services variants out there
(hooray for open source!).

  --Andrew Church
    achurch at achurch.org
    http://achurch.org/