[IRCServices] /ns ghost exploit

Ganja51 Ganja51 at lcirc.net
Thu Mar 14 23:37:00 PST 2002

Are you guys forgetting what ghost is for??? If you get disconnected (ping
timeout or such) and the server hasn't realized that you're disconnecte. You
reconnect and you're still showing as being connected. You then GHOST the
old connection so you may claim your nickname. Why would you want services
to change the name of the old connection?

You're getting too selfish. GHOST does not have an exploit, it's simply some
immature users abusing a function which is working perfectly well. I have
_never_ seen this happen before in my years of IRCing, so it's obviously an
isolated incident.

Either talk to your users about their maturity level and abuse, or else talk
to the users trying to connect about changing their nicks, because the nicks
they're trying to use are already registered. It's not that difficult of a
concept, and I don't believe that Services should be changed due to a small
situation you're having with a select few people.

~Ganja51
irc.lcirc.net