[IRCServices] Another Feature Suggestion

Russell Garrett rg at tcslon.com
Fri May 31 18:13:01 PDT 2002

> FloodServ - not only do floodbots flood but so do regular
> users. I believe
> this will help keep people from abusing channels when a
> channel operator is
> not there.

OK I see where you're coming from now, but this is requiring Services
to process every single line from every single channel, a not
insignificant load, and probably unreasonable for nets greater than
about 500 to 1000 users. Most (I'm tempted to say all ;) decent ircds
have flood protection built in. It's much more efficient to check it
at the ircd end than at the services end. It's also fallible - if
services is split, you've lost all protection.

> RoutingServ - mosty ircd's will autoconnect disconnected
> servers but some
> won't. I also like the idea of services being able to
> re-rout servers if the
> connection to a hub becomes laggy.

Also an advantage for smaller nets where you don't have a global oper
on hand all the time I suppose. I'm slowly warming to the idea :).

Russ Garrett
russ at garrett.co.uk
www.faereal.net