[IRCServices] mildly off topic?

Dylan v.d Merwe dylanvdm at icon.co.za
Tue Nov 26 11:39:00 PST 2002

Unreal is a very well coded ircd. It provides a whole host of features that
make your user's session more interesting. The one thing that many people
forget is that it is a professional ircd meant for experienced users. Sure
it may come in a Windows flavor as well, which is great for experimenting
and learning for beginners, but running it on *nix as well on a production
network without learning everything about it is bound to cause hassles. I
personally feel that nobody should run an ircd if they don't know what
they're doing. That statement could cause a few ripples but let me explain.
For most newbies wanting to run an ircd it's for the power. They don't care
about their users, they *use* their users. By this I mean they go about
getting as many users they can just so they can become popular or show off
their powers. This is especially why most newbies opt for Unreal as they
gain a huge range of powers as an ircop. I have been running Unreal for a
long period of time and I find it extremely stable. Mainly because I know
what I'm doing. Then again I'm not saying that you shouldn't try and ask
questions. If you're really interested in running an ircd with better
motives than one's specified above, as well as willing to put in the effort
in learning what needs to be learnt then having your network come online
will be a positive addition to the irc world. I just don't like spoon
feeding answers to people which I know can be found if they put a little bit
of effort into it. Not forgetting experience makes a big difference.

Got a bit off course there... Unreal would be quite a big jump from
Dreamforge. Dreamforge was a great ircd but is looking awfully dated
compared to newer ircds around. Bahamut would probably be your best choice
as it branched off from Dreamforge and is similar in a few ways. Bahamut,
may I add, is also a brilliantly coded ircd.

You just need to think about what you require in your network. Unreal (gasp)
is stable believe it or not if you know what you're doing. I have found them
both to work 100% with ircservices. Also don't forget other ircds available
which are supported by ircservices. Give them a try as well. This is one of
those times I'm not going to list the ircds supported because it's mentioned
on the ircservices website.

Just my two cents...

:-)

Dylan.