[IRCServices] Question Regarding Services Developers

Andrew Church achurch at achurch.org
Thu Dec 5 11:12:01 PST 2002

     This is mentioned in section 7 of the manual, but just so that
everybody's clear on this matter:

     I read every message sent to me, whether privately or via either of
the Services mailing lists (this one or ircservices-coding@).  However, I
do not respond to most of them.  This is primarily because I'm just one
person and there are only 24 hours in a day, the majority of which I spend
working and sleeping, and the remainder of which I would like to have at
least some to myself.  In particular, I generally don't respond to simple
questions, because there are many other people on the mailing list who can
answer just as well, or to feature requests, because there really isn't
much point in responding--90% of the time the answer would be "thanks for
your suggestion, I'll consider it."  But I do read everything, so don't
feel like you're being ignored if you don't get a response.

     As far as feature suggestions, I tend toward keeping Services "lean"
in the sense of not adding features that can be handled as well or better
by other programs (see FAQ Z.5).  For example, I'm strongly against the
idea of a "BotServ" such as some other Services-like programs use--that's
what bots are for, after all.  I'm more likely to look favorably on
suggestions that (1) make possible something that couldn't be easily done
before and (2) have wide applicability--i.e., are useful for many people in
many circumstances, as opposed to "special-case" features that would be
rarely used.

     I do try to respond to suggestions if either they're already under
development or I've decided not to use them.  If I turn down a suggestion,
or it doesn't get added as quickly as you like, you're of course free to
add it yourself (or get someone else to do it for you).  I may also
consider such a suggestion if you're willing to pay me for the work, but
keep in mind that my time is expensive; if you can find a friend with free
time to do the programming you may be better off.

  --Andrew Church
    achurch at achurch.org
    http://achurch.org/