[IRCServices] My ideas for WAKILL

calimonk calimonk at gmx.net
Thu Dec 12 12:39:00 PST 2002

At 02:25 12-12-2002 -0800, you wrote:
>On Thursday, Dec 12, 2002, at 01:09 US/Pacific, calimonk wrote:
>
>Just a couple quick comments:

Thanks, comments are always good :P

>><snip>
>
>The problem is, you still can't ban them.  Why not?  Lack of server
>support.  As far as I know, none of the supported ircds support
>regex or similar akills.  If ircservices itself implemented this,
>you'd just get a burst of kills, and no bans.

I never really thought of it IRCd wise to be honest, the idea just came to
my head and i just had to share. I get your point though.

>It also needs to be 'standardized'.  You really DON'T want to use
>full regex on IRC -- way too much abuse potential.  But getting
>everyone to agree on a supported subset?  Good luck.  People have
>been trying to sneak regex-type solutions into ircds for years.
>So far I haven't seen anything stick.
>
>And as far as the random bot nicks go, even regex is largely
>inadequate.  One solution I've seen recently is in bahamut 1.4.35
>-- support for a loadable 'drone' module.  While the module
>itself is unavailable to the public, its concept is simple.  It
>gets hooked when a user connects, and fed all the info (nick,
>ident, host, realname).  That module can do whatever processing
>it wants to determine whether a client is valid or not.
>
>Consider, for example, the actual from-the-wild nick GVTiqflB.
>Suppose its generator simply grabs a random alphabetic character.
>How on earth are you going to describe any useful ban on that
>nick, be it with regex or another method?
>
>An arbitrary processor such as the 'drone module' I mentioned
>above can do something like upper/lower case character
>probability analysis (in english: look for mixed-case junk).
>Regular Expressions can't do that.

The thing with the bots is that they almost always have a "~" adding this
to a 'regular expression akill' would not affect alot of users if it would
affect users at all.
If it can't be done by akills, because of the ircd then perhaps some sort
of module for ircservices. One that does something like the 'drone'
detector dalnet has.

The thing only is, if you can't "Ban" people from a server with the
'regular expressions' then you have to face the fact that you will have to
add MASSIVE amounts of seperate akills set by for instance a drone monitor
in stead of the '1' regular expression akill.

>Getting back to your original idea, I do agree that such a
>"string description syntax" (seems as good a term as any ;) )
>would be very useful.  I'm just commenting on some of the
>problems involved in creating it.
>
>-- Quension

As always any idea i seem to come up with always has a few problems with it
in creating. I've been looking for ways of removing flooding bots and the
like for quite some time, and the fact just remains that with teh currently
akill way you in no way can get rid of them.

Maybe i shouldn't have send this email to ircservices mailing list but to
for instance an IRCd mailing list. Like for instance a new sort of command
alternative to gline. Like you said alot of 'security' risks are connected
to this though.

I just feel that there has to be a way to stop all these bots from
attacking, and regular akills/glines and the like just don't stand anymore.