[IRCServices] unhappy restart quirks with 5.0.10 (was 5.0.9)

Arathorn arathorn at theonering.net
Sat Feb 22 12:11:27 PST 2003

Okay, I've worked out the problem - looks like it was the "painfully
obvious misconfiguration" scenario :)

I had NoSplitRecovery enabled, which was quite rightly preventing people
from not having to reidentify.

Now the obvious corollary question: with a single unlinked server running
Unreal 3.2 with IRCServices U:lined in - are there any security issues
raised by disabling NoSplitRecovery?  I.e. there any way a malicious
client could fake a timestamp during an /msg operserv restart to steal
somebody's nick privileges?

A.

On Sat, 22 Feb 2003, Craig Edwards wrote:

> This is expected behavour afaik, theres no way to know if someones
> identified after the programs memory has been cleared out for a restart.
> Maybe you mis-interpreted the new feature "services will remember who
> identified so that if they change their nick, it keeps track" (sorry
> about the way i phrased this, it isnt the way it was put in the files
> ;))
>
> And on Sat, 22 Feb 2003, Arathorn wrote:
>
> >Apologies for following up my own message here, but I fear that the
> >original may have dropped off the bottom of peoples' stacks in favour of
> >Bahamut protocol strife.
> >
> >I essentially have only one question:
> >
> >Does everyone's v5 IRCServices force all users to reidentify with NickServ
> >when services is restarted?  Or is this in fact the expected behaviour of
> >v5, meaning that I have misinterpretted the WhatsNew file?
> >
> >If I am alone in experiencing this, is there a painfully obvious
> >misconfiguration which might result in this behaviour which is so obvious
> >that people have not yet deigned to clue me in on it?  I have tried every
> >trick I can think of (different ircds, different services versions, virgin
> >DBs, exporting & reimporting DBs) short of running things in debugging
> >mode - to no avail.
> >
> >yours hopefully,
> >
> >A.

Matthew Hodgson   arathorn at theonering.net   Tel: +44 7968 722968