[IRCServices] Is it possible?

Juan Antonio Sánchez Robles jasanchez at i-network.com
Mon Mar 10 03:34:11 PST 2003

Thank Andrew, the password it's a good idea, that's all I need ;-)

El lun, 10-03-2003 a las 21:09, Andrew Church escribió:

    >Hi!, the first of one thanks for ircservices, i'm very pleasured with
    >it. I'm using IRCservices with Unreal irc server with a java applet
    >client. I need to forbib connetions from other clients like mirc, etc. I
    >only want to allow conections from my java applet client. Is it
    >possible?=20

         This is more of an IRC server issue; depending on how the applet is
    designed, you should be able to configure your IRC server to, for example,
    only allow connections with a password and have your applet send that
    password when connecting (though of course this is not very secure if
    someone decides to e.g. monitor the network traffic).  To do this with
    Services would require writing a module that sent CTCP VERSION (or some
    other way to check whether the client is your applet or another program)
    and killed users using a different client, and again this would still be
    susceptible to users forging the CTCP VERSION reply.

         In general, there's no foolproof way to do what you're asking, but
    either of the above methods will probably block 99.9% of users, which is
    probably good enough.

      --Andrew Church
        achurch at achurch.org