[IRCServices] A bit of info for you

Craig Edwards brain at winbot.co.uk
Wed Feb 25 05:33:01 PST 2004

hi.

Recently we have had many annoying but not crippling issues on our network with virus drones (e.g. with nicks like [{|` etc) and also with floodnets, and people evading bans via cgi:irc gateways. To combat this threat our oper team has started work on a project similar in structure, but different in operation, to ircservices, called 'irc defender'. It is a fully modular perl program which has modules for prevention of attacks, ban evasion, virus drone infestation etc, and can also maintain a ctcp version blacklist, and do simple version surveys of your network. We are currently seeking testers, feedback and module developers, and have asked andy if it's ok to post this to this list (of course the fact that you're reading this email shows that we have his permission) ;-)

If you wish to take a look at this project (which is under GPL) you may find it at:
http://ircdefender.sf.net/

It currently only supports unrealircd (either in server mode, as a server to server link, or in client mode as an opered connection) but writing protocol modules should be easy for anyone with IRC experience and an ability to write perl scripts, so we welcome all feedback, new modules (protocol, log and scan), but as always with matters unrelated to ircservices itself please reply off the list directly to my email address (brain at winbot dot co dot uk).

Thanks for listening!

Craig Edwards aka Brain, ChatSpike IRC network