[IRCServices] Possible Channel Expiration Bug

Andrew Church achurch at achurch.org
Wed Mar 31 20:13:50 PST 2004

>Also forgot to mention that on one channel the owner disabled =
>auto-oping, auto-voicing, etc.

     As section 3-2 of the manual states, channel activity is determined by
whether auto-op users enter the channel; while it's not stated explicitly,
this means that disabling auto-op also prevents the channel's last-used
time from getting updated this way.  The last-used time is also updated
whenever the IDENTIFY or OP commands are used successfully; if neither of
these commands are used within the expiration period, the channel will
expire.  This is not a bug; I've long been aware that it's not obvious or
desirable behavior, but I've not been able to come up with a better system
which retains fairness (for example, a random user or spambot entering a
channel with no intent to use it as the founder intended should not cause
the last-used time to be updated).  Suggestions are welcome.

     I'll update the manual for the next release to cover this issue more
clearly.

  --Andrew Church
    achurch at achurch.org
    http://achurch.org/