[IRCServices] Database conversion....

Andrew Church achurch at achurch.org
Fri Apr 30 20:12:14 PDT 2004

>cygnus can convert irc services's database [i dont see why anyone wanna
>go that route anyway] but cygnus isnt listed in the db converter of irc
>services..

     It should be--do you have the latest version (5.0.31)?

crystal:/home/achurch/src/cvs/ircservices/tools> ./convert-db
Directory name must be specified
Usage: ./convert-db [-v] [+program-name] [options...] sourcedir
The following program names are known:
    anope
    auspice
    bolivia
    cygnus
    daylight
[...]

>great job on the services.. i tried to 'break' it while testing and ya..
>it doesnt seem possible :)

     Actually, I suspect at least one reason other programs are so unstable
is because their authors focus too much on adding features and not enough
on making it actually work right.  (The same might be said of a certain
widely-used operating system...)  I believe that _less_ features, and more
"just start it up and it works", is what makes good software, and to be
honest I think IRC Services still has too many options, configuration
settings and the like.

  --Andrew Church
    achurch at achurch.org
    http://achurch.org/