[IRCServices] Compiling on OS X

Andrew Church achurch at achurch.org
Mon May 17 09:25:36 PDT 2004

>However, I have not had much luck with the ar utility playing nice.
>I can run it by hand, but it bombs out when running make.

     Check the exit code of ar ("ar ... ; echo $?"), particularly with
respect to the presence/absence of the -c option vs. the existence or
nonexistence of the output (.a) file; it could be that the MacOS ar is anal
about return codes.  If not, it could just be a bug in ar--in that case, I
guess you'll need to file a bug report with Apple.

>As a side note there needs to be a -fno-builtin option passed to the
>compiler on Mac OS X so you don't get that anoying warning about the
>builtin log function conflicting with that of the log function defined
>within Services itself.  This can be added to the second appearance
>of the MORE_CFLAGS variable in the top level Makefile.
>
>e.g.:
>MORE_CFLAGS = -g -fno-builtin -Wall -Wmissing-prototypes

     This has been in the Makefile since forever.  Are you sure you're
using current source?

  --Andrew Church
    achurch at achurch.org
    http://achurch.org/