[IRCServices] IRC Services 5.1 Features

Andrew Church achurch at achurch.org
Wed Jul 14 12:31:14 PDT 2004

>ok, now for a couple of suggestions of my own..
>a "Standardised" database format, which would allow modules to create and maintain databases in the same way as services would (so the database module would be totally independant from other modules). Having to code a database from scratch for services ca
>n be frustrating.

     This is what my "some progress" is aiming for.  I've been aware of
this issue since I started work on 5.0, but it's a lot of work.  Ideally
the database system should be flexible enough to let modules register their
own database formats, and that's what I'm going to try and do for 5.1.
It's not too large a step from there to adding more flexibility in database
format (e.g. Berkeley DB or MySQL), though that's probably aiming a bit too
high for now.  "Real" DBMS support, as in actually using a database server
for the online data, is a more distant issue; the majority of SQL-related
comments I've seen so far have been to allow easier read access to the
data, e.g. to display information on a web page, and for that periodic
syncs are sufficient.

>a way for modules which add commands to say.. Nickserv to dynamicly add items to help files without the need to edit the .lang files.

     Already doable, add a "HELP" callback.

>possibly add sendpass commands for encrypted passwords? ;)

     RTFM, not possible ;) or do you mean a way for the user to reset the
password?  If the latter, I'm considering doing that through the AUTH
system instead (/ns reauth -> read mail -> /ns auth NNN -> /ns set password
or something like that).

>maybe a second mode for memoserv, currently, you have either forward on or off, i'd like to have a 'Notify' command, which will send me a memo just saying "You have a new memo" and possibly the command for reading it, but leaving it in the database.

     /ms set forward copy

  --Andrew Church
    achurch at achurch.org
    http://achurch.org/